Registering A Death

Registering a death in the South Hampshire area

For funeral services, give J Lawrence & Sons (Undertakers) Ltd in Southampton a call on 023 8055 4801.
Need some advice?
death certificate

What to do when a death occurs?

What to do when a death occurs at home or in a nursing home:
  • Inform the personal/concerned doctor that the death has occurred. The doctor will check the patient to confirm the death and issue a Medical Certificate of the cause the death. In certain cases, you may be required to collect the certificate from the surgery.
  • The nursing staff or any family member of the bereaved can get in touch with J Lawrence & Sons (Undertakers) Ltd for the deceased to be brought to our chapel. We are available 24/7 over the telephone. You can reach us on 023 8055 4801.
  • If the death was unexpected, the doctor may be unable to issue the certificate in which case the Coroner’s Office will need to be informed. The Coroner’s Office will then contact their contracted funeral directors to remove the deceased to the local hospital mortuary.

What to do if a death occurs in a hospital?
 If you're in Southampton General Hospital, you can contact the Bereavement Care Office located in Victoria House in the hospital grounds. 
Telephone: 023 8079 4587

They will advise you if the medical certificate can be collected at the hospital or if the coroner will have to be informed.
Registering a death

What to do when a death occurs?

The death can be registered by a relative of the deceased, someone present at the time of death, an occupant of the house, an official from the hospital or the person making the arrangements for the funeral.

Please note that registration needs to be done within 5 days of death. In case of a judicial inquiry and coroner involvement, the registration can be delayed.
death documents

Documents required

  • Medical certificate of the cause of death (signed by a doctor)
  • Birth certificate*
  • Marriage/civil partnership certificates*
  • NHS Medical Card*
*if available

Information required

You'll need to provide the registrar with the following details:
  • The person’s full name at the time of death
  • Any names previously used, including maiden surname
  • The person’s date and place of birth (town and county if born in the UK and country if born abroad)
  • Their last address
  • Their occupation
  • The full name, date of birth and occupation of a surviving spouse or civil partner
  • Whether they were receiving a state pension or any other state benefit
Red rose
two women reading

Documents you will receive

If a post-mortem is not being held, the registrar will issue you with:
  • A certificate for burial or cremation (called the 'green certificate'), giving permission for the body to be buried or for an application for cremation to be made.
  • A Certificate of Registration of Death (form BD8), issued for social security purposes if the person received a State pension or benefits (please read the information on the back then complete and return it, if it applies).
  • At this point, you can buy one or more death certificates. The price will depend on your local authority. These may be required by the executor or administrator when sorting out the person's affairs. 
  • The registrar will give you a 'What to do after a death'  booklet that offers advice on probate and other administrative issues that will need to managed around this time.
If there is an error in a death record, the details can be changed or added. Ideally, the person who registered the death should arrange this with the office where the death was registered. You may be asked to provide documentary evidence to prove that an error was made.

Is there a charge for registering a death? 

No. But you may need to buy several copies of the death certificate to show to banks, solicitors, insurance companies, building societies and other social benefit organisations.

Death certificates cost £4 per copy while the register is still in use and £7 per copy when the register has been completed and deposited with the Superintendent Registrar.
people mourning

Places to notify after registering a death

You may be required to get in touch with certain individuals or organisations to inform them about the death. These could include the following:
  • Bank / building societies
  • Benefit agencies
  • Schools or childcare providers
  • Local authorities  (e.g. council)
  • Credit card providers 
  • The deceased's doctor, dentist or hospitals (clinic)
  • DVLA
  • Employers
  • Inland Revenue
  • Internet providers
  • Libraries
  • Insurance companies
  • Mortgage companies
  • Motoring breakdown associations (AA, RAC etc.)
  • Motor / household insurance companies
  • NS&I
  • Passport offices
  • Pension providers
  • Private healthcare providers
  • Share companies
  • Social services
  • Solicitors
  • Utility providers (gas, electricity, water, telephone)

If the death is referred to a coroner

When the cause of death is unclear, sudden or suspicious, the doctor / hospital / registrar will report the death to the coroner. The coroner must then decide whether there should be further investigation. The registrar cannot register the death until the coroner's decision is made. If a post-mortem is needed, the coroner will issue any necessary documents as soon as possible after the event.
Local registry offices
6a, Bugle Street,
Southampton SO14 2LX

Monday: 9:00AM to 4:30PM
Tuesday:10:00AM to 4:30PM
Wednesday: 9:00AM to 4:30PM
Thursday: 9:00AM to 4:30PM
Friday: 9:00AM to 4:00PM

Call 023 8063 1422 to book an appointment.
Eastleigh Library,
1st Floor, Swan Centre,
Hants SO50 5SF

Telephone: 023 8061 2058, 0845 603 5637
Hayter House,
Hayter Gardens,
Hants SO51 7QU

Telephone: 01794 513 846, 0845 603 5637
Totton and Ealing Community Centre,
Civic Centre Building,
Library Road,
Totton SO40 3AP

Telephone: 023 8086 3168, 0845 603 5637
Do you require assistance with registering a death in South Hampshire?
Call J Lawrence & Sons (Undertakers) Ltd in Southampton on 023 8055 4801

Leave us a message

Share by: